It is a fact of life that a lot of teenagers, and adults too need to have braces fitted to address misalignment of teeth or because they have chosen, as adults, to have the 6 month smile braces. For children and adults who have to learn to keep teeth clean and brush their teeth with braces, there are some techniques that will ensure that teeth are kept clean and healthy. The new cleaning regimen is bound to take a bit longer to start with as you get the hang of it, and the first few times it might take as much as 3-5 minutes to brush your teeth thoroughly, floss, and do everything else you have to do. Here are some tips to help you make sure that your teeth are well cared for even when you are wearing your 6 month smile invisible braces.
11 steps to ensure your braces and teeth are kept at their best
- Get yourself a really good toothbrush. Your dentist might have a recommendation for you but if not then it will be best to buy a normal rather than electric toothbrush Asking other people who wear braces may not be the best idea as they may not give you the right kind of recommendation of brush to use. Getting one with a pointy end and groove that will get in between the braces will be best and you can ask your orthodontist or dentist for advice on this.
- As far as brushing is concerned, to begin with, put toothpaste on your brush as normal and then brush your teeth in small circular motions. Start at the front and then move to the back and then move onto the chewing surface. If your orthodontist has other recommendations then follow his or her advice.
- As you brush you should position your toothbrush so that is at an angle, getting under your braces. Then, move your toothbrush up and down slowly. This will help you to get under the wires and get the brush right onto your teeth.
- Now you should continue brushing until each and every tooth at the front, back, and all the chewing surfaces are thoroughly brushed. Then when you are finished just spit the toothpaste into a sink.
- Wash your mouth out well and then check your teeth. Do they still look dirty or do they look nasty? If they do then you probably haven’t brushed them well enough. Go back over the steps until the teeth look really clean and bright.
- You will need to get some floss. Most orthodontists will give you floss with hard ends that will thread more easily under your braces so that you can clean the thoroughly.
- With the floss, thread it under your braces, and then move it up and down slowly, just as you would for normal flossing. Do this on each and every tooth. This can be time consuming but if you are to keep your teeth healthy, it is essential.
- After you had flossed your teeth thoroughly, check between your teeth to see if there is any food in there. If there is, you probably didn’t floss well enough so repeat the process.
- Now you should check generally through the mouth for any loose brackets or wires, or any sore spots in your mouth. If your orthodontist gave you little brushes that look a bit like Christmas trees, use those to clean between each tooth.
- Now that the cleaning process has been completed, use a mouthwash to swish around and refresh your mouth.
- Lastly, check all your teeth to ensure that everything is clean and if not, repeat any steps you need to.
Dulwich Dental Office – Always ready to give you the best advise on caring for your teeth.
Need dental advice or treatment?
Looking for a dentist in Dulwich? Require more information or treatments relating to Using the Six Month Smile Braces. Contact us today, we provide both private and NHS dental treatments. We have patients from across London including: Dulwich, Beckenham, Brixton, Croydon, Crystal Palace, Camberwell, Herne Hill, Honor Oak, Mitcham, Oxted, Orpington, Peckham, Sutton, Streatham and Upper Sydenham. Need any kind of dental treatment? Contact Dulwich Dental Office today.