What are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth, or third molars, grow at the back of your gums in each of the four corners of your mouth. Healthy wisdom teeth don’t tend to cause problems and elicit only slight pain as they emerge. In some cases, however, there isn’t enough space for wisdom teeth to fit, as they grow later during our late teens and early twenties.
When do wisdom teeth become a problem?
- If they become impacted (stuck) in your jaw
- If they emerge only partially
- If they grow at an angle
- If they grow too far back to be cleaned easily
What are the symptoms?
- Pain, irritation or jaw stiffness
- Crowding of other teeth
- Tooth decay, infection, or gum disease
- Severe pain at the back of the mouth
- Cysts can develop if left untreated
About the extraction procedure
Local anaesthetic is usually injected to numb the area around the tooth. Your dentist will make an incision to remove bone and soft tissue. The wisdom tooth is then removed, and may be cut into smaller pieces to make it easier to extract.
After the procedure
There are several things you can do to help the healing process:
- Use an ice pack to prevent swelling
- Slowly open and close your mouth to exercise your jaw
- Stay hydrated and eat soft foods
- Avoid drinking through straws (loosens the blood clot)
- Take prescribed medication and follow instructions
- Brush your teeth carefully the next day, avoiding the extraction site
- Use a therapeutic mouth rinse (if recommended)
Consult with a dentist in Dulwich Village on the best techniques to ease your discomfort and promote healing. If any problems arise after your wisdom teeth extraction, get in touch with your dentist immediately.
Need dental advice or treatment?
Looking for a dentist in Dulwich? Require more information or treatments relating to Wisdom Tooth. Contact us today, we provide both private and NHS dental treatments. We have patients from across London including: Dulwich, Beckenham, Brixton, Croydon, Crystal Palace, Camberwell, Herne Hill, Honor Oak, Mitcham, Oxted, Orpington, Peckham, Sutton, Streatham and Upper Sydenham. Need any kind of dental treatment? Contact Dulwich Dental Office today.