Braces are a fantastic way of improving your smile and keeping your overall dental health in check. As they actively work to straighten overcrowded and misaligned teeth, braces also prevent the onset of serious dental problems, such as a build up of plaque leading to cavities, inflammation and gum disease. Correct oral care is essential when wearing braces in order to ensure your health and comfort.
At home dental care
Create an effective dental care routine to keep your braces in top condition with these simple steps.
1) Prepare your braces – Before you start to clean your braces, take off any removable parts (such as, elastics or plates).
2) Clean your braces – Use a soft, round-bristle toothbrush and hold it at a 45 degree angle to clean around the wires and pins of your braces. Move the brush from the top to the bottom of each wire on each individual tooth.
3) Brush your teeth – Move your toothbrush in a gentle, circular motion to brush each tooth thoroughly. Brush your teeth after each meal (a minimum of three times a day).
4) Floss once a day – Flossing removes plaque and debris from in between the teeth. Floss threaders can be used to manoeuvre dental floss between wires, brackets and teeth.
5) Rinse with mouthwash – Use an anti-bacterial mouthwash to rinse with after cleaning your teeth.
You will need to make regular visits to your orthodontist for checks on your teeth and for necessary adjustments to your braces. A small amount of pain or tightness is normal and to be expected, but if it becomes severe you should alert your orthodontist as soon as possible. If any other issues arise concerning your braces, it’s always best to have your orthodontist check it out.
Maintaining good oral health also requires attending regular checkups with a Dulwich dentist. Your dentist will ensure your mouth and braces are in good condition and treat any issue that you may not be able to notice yourself.
Taking care of your braces is very important to maintain your oral health and hygiene. Remember to:
- Clean your braces and teeth regularly
- Avoid sugary food and drink
- Follow guidance given by your orthodontist and dentist
- Report problems as soon as they arise
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your orthodontics (braces), please consult your dentist or orthodontist in London as soon as possible.
Need dental advice or treatment?
Looking for a dentist in Dulwich? Require more information or treatments relating to Cleaning Braces. Contact us today, we provide both private and NHS dental treatments. We have patients from across London including: Dulwich, Beckenham, Brixton, Croydon, Crystal Palace, Camberwell, Herne Hill, Honor Oak, Mitcham, Oxted, Orpington, Peckham, Sutton, Streatham and Upper Sydenham. Need any kind of dental treatment? Contact Dulwich Dental Office today.