Same Day Implant Surgery
With the surgical site sufficiently numb and the patient comfortable, our skilled surgeons move on to the next critical step: making precise incisions in the gum tissue. The incisions are strategically placed to access the jawbone at the predetermined implant sites. The location and size of these incisions are carefully planned based on the treatment plan established during your initial consultation. Our surgeons employ their expertise to create incisions that minimize trauma to the surrounding tissues, ensuring a smoother and more comfortable healing process.
The heart of the same day implant surgery lies in the precise placement of dental implants into the jawbone. This step is where the transformation begins as the implants serve as the secure anchors for your future prosthetic teeth.
Our surgeons choose gold standard implants that are biocompatible and designed for immediate loading. The type and number of implants placed depend on your individual treatment plan, which considers factors such as the location of missing teeth, the condition of your jawbone, and your overall oral health.
During implant placement:
- Implant Site Preparation: Our surgeons use specialized instruments to create small, precise channels in the jawbone to accommodate the dental implants. The depth and angle of these channels are meticulously calculated to ensure optimal implant positioning.
- Implant Insertion: The dental implants, which resemble small screws or cylinders, are gently inserted into the prepared channels. Our surgeons exercise exceptional care to avoid damaging surrounding tissues and ensure the implants are seated securely.
- Primary Stability: Achieving primary stability is a key milestone. It indicates that the implants are firmly anchored in the bone, providing a strong foundation for the prosthetic teeth. Our surgeons assess this stability using specialized instruments and their clinical expertise.
One of the defining features of same day implant surgery is the attachment of a temporary prosthesis on the same day as the implant placement. This immediate prosthesis, often referred to as a provisional or transitional restoration, is meticulously crafted to provide both functionality and aesthetics.
The immediate prosthesis serves several crucial purposes:
- Immediate Functionality: You can leave our clinic on the same day with a fully restored smile, allowing you to eat, speak, and smile confidently. This immediate functionality is a significant benefit of same day dental implants.
- Aesthetics: The prosthesis is designed to mimic the appearance of natural teeth, ensuring that your smile retains its natural look.
- Protection: The prosthesis helps protect the healing implants and the surgical site. It acts as a barrier, preventing direct contact with food and other oral elements that could disturb the implants.
The immediate prosthesis is customized to your unique oral anatomy, providing a comfortable and secure fit. Its attachment is a testament to the precision and expertise of our surgeons, who prioritize your satisfaction and well-being throughout the procedure.
Once the dental implants are securely in place and the immediate prosthesis is attached, our surgeons proceed to meticulously close the surgical incisions with sutures. The sutures used are typically absorbable, which means they will dissolve naturally over time, eliminating the need for suture removal.
Suturing serves multiple crucial purposes:
- It ensures that the surgical site remains protected and minimizes the risk of infection.
- It promotes proper healing by holding the tissues in their correct position.
- It helps control postoperative bleeding.
The careful and precise suturing technique employed by our surgeons is a critical aspect of the same day implant procedure, as it contributes to the overall success of the surgery and sets the stage for a smooth recovery and healing process.
Healing and Final Prosthesis
After the same day implant surgery, a healing period is necessary to allow the implants to integrate with the surrounding bone. During this time:
- Postoperative Care: Our surgeons will provide specific postoperative care instructions, including guidelines on pain management and oral hygiene.
- Dietary Considerations: You may be advised to follow a soft-food diet initially to avoid putting excessive stress on the implants.
- Regular Follow-Up: Regular follow-up appointments will be scheduled to monitor your healing progress and ensure the successful integration of same day implants with your natural bone.
Once the healing period is complete, and the same day implants have integrated successfully, you will return to Dulwich Dental Office for the placement of your final, permanent prosthesis. This custom-crafted restoration is designed to match the aesthetics and functionality of natural teeth, completing your smile transformation.